OE No Longer Recognizes Contacts
John Smith
2004-09-14 03:21:09 UTC
After installing Service Pack 2 for Windows XP, OE no longer
recognizes contacts in my address book.

Pre-SP2, I could type a contact's name, and OE would recognize the
contact and send the message. Post-SP2, after typing the contact's
name and sending, I receive the following message: "No matches found
for <Contact>".

I've double and triple-checked. the Contact is still there. My address
book is not corrupt. The only way for me to send an e-mail to a
contact is to open the address book via the "To:" button and pick the
contacts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
PA Bear
2004-09-14 06:36:15 UTC
Is MS Office or Outlook also installed?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2

What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

AumHa Forums
http://forum.aumha.org
Thank you
John Smith
2004-09-14 23:17:33 UTC
Office is installed (Office XP), but not Outlook.

PA Bear
2004-09-15 06:28:20 UTC
Do you have this Registry key?...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
\Software
\Microsoft
\WAB
\WAB4

If not, STOP; If so, is there a DWORD named UseOutlook and is its value set
to 1 (one)?

If not, STOP; If so, Address Book is configured to share contacts with
Outlook, even if you don't use it (can happen with the install of Office).
Change the value to 0 (zero), Address Book should be available to you and
all should be well. (If that DWORD is not present, don't create it, and
don't alter any other DWORD values.)

Note that any changes (additions, deletions, edits) made while sharing was
enabled will not be available (displayed) in Address Book when sharing is
disabled.

cf. http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/wab.htm#share
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?

WinXP SP2 Release Notes
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;835935

AumHa Forums
http://forum.aumha.org
John Smith
2004-09-15 13:06:06 UTC
Hi,

No, that value is not there (UseOutlook). Any other suggestions?

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 02:28:20 -0400, "PA Bear" <***@mvps.org> wrote:

:Do you have this Registry key?...
:
:HKEY_CURRENT_USER
: \Software
: \Microsoft
: \WAB
: \WAB4
:
PA Bear
2004-09-16 02:38:14 UTC
Gotcha now. (Please include previous message in your replies, John).
Post by John Smith
Pre-SP2, I could type a contact's name, and OE would recognize the
contact and send the message. Post-SP2, after typing the contact's
name and sending, I receive the following message: "No matches found
for <Contact>".
Tools>Accounts>Directory Services> double-click on each one, in turn > Check
names against this server... (uncheck)

Upon installing WinXP SP2, I found Active Directory listed *and* checked but
it hasn't caused me any problems so far.

HTH
--
~PA Bear
<snip>
PA Bear
2004-09-16 19:53:29 UTC
Larry, please begin a new thread describing /your/ problem and set-up in
detail, as well as the steps you've taken so far to address the problem.

Make a Good Post
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
--
~PA Bear
I have the same issue, and followed your instructions. I DID have that
<snip>
Larry
2004-09-17 14:29:15 UTC
Will do PA Bear ...no time right now, but it is regarding the "no matches
found for" error after install of sp2. All of my contacts are there, but i
have to click "show more names" and manually select the exact same name that
it tells me was not found...

Will post again will full details later

Thanks, Larry
<snip>
John Smith
2004-09-17 00:54:25 UTC
Hi Pa Bear,

Sorry about the exclusion of the previous messages. Agent cut it off.

Regarding the probleme, I have no directory services listed (I deleted
them all awhile back), so there is nothing listed under the directory
services tab ......

for <Contact>".
PA Bear
for <Contact>".
John Smith

for <Contact>".
PA Bear
2004-09-19 03:46:42 UTC
Let's do an end run, John.

Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main
Identity. Add a new Named Identity (File>Identities>Add new identity),
configure at least one mail account in it, and try typing in a contact's
name in a new message.

The new identity will have its own Address Book (empty, of course) but you
should find all of your original identity's contacts in Shared Contacts
(View>Folders & Groups): Simply drag them into the main folder.

Assuming all is well, import messages from the old Identity before deleting
it (File>Identities>Manage Identities).
--
~PA Bear
Post by PA Bear
them all awhile back), so there is nothing listed under the
directory
Post by PA Bear
services tab ......
Post by PA Bear
Post by PA Bear
Post by PA Bear
Post by PA Bear
Post by PA Bear
for <Contact>".
John Smith
2004-09-19 22:19:50 UTC
I figured it out! I couldn't find an "Identities" sub menu under file,
and it suddenly occurred to me that I might have configured something
with the group policy editor that is causing all my problems.

Sure enough, under "Administrative Templates | Internet Explorer" I
had enabled "Identity Manager: Prevent users from using Identities".
After switching it to "Not Configured", everything works like its
supposed to!

Thanks for all your help!

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:46:42 -0400, "PA Bear" <***@mvps.org> wrote:

:Let's do an end run, John.